to the Lair. My name is Skye and the Lair is a reinventing of my old pagan website SkyeWolf's Place. For an introduction and somewhat of an explanation please see the first post entitled Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit.

I am a gothy Dark Pagan with heavy leanings toward the Celtic tradition, and a smattering of Kemet, Hindu and Santeria. Just a little eclectic... I am a freelance artist who works in digital (and the occasional pencil sketch) and does fantasy and science fiction. I am also the Art Director and general go-to girl for a small press publishing company.

I hope you enjoy your time here with me and stop back often to visit. Bring a friend. :)

Less is More

I'm currently packing up my office. I'll be moving it early next week and I'm looking forward to it actually. Yes I'm moving someplace considerable smaller and that means I need to slim down my belongings quite a bit. I expected to become depressed as the house emptied out, the walls became bare. To my surprise it's had the opposite effect. As things go into storage or get moved to the new place it's almost like a weight is being lifted. My soul is becoming lighter.

I've never really explored the idea of lightening the burden by getting rid of personal possessions. Now I'm not saying I'm considering giving away all my worldly possessions and running off to a Tibetan monastery mind you. Just packing away the majority of them and starting over with only the things I really need.

"He who dies with the most toys wins." We don't realize it while we're acquiring them but toys are a burden. For every DVD you buy comes the burden of finding the time to watch it. For every electronic gadget, or infomercial impulse buy comes the responsibility of using it. Every video game we buy is time taken away from something more rewarding, more enriching.

I don't want to get preachy. Actually I'd rather avoid that in this blog if I can. I just think people need to explore minimalism a little. I think it puts you in touch with who you really are if you can't hide behind your "things".

1 comments:

StevieC71 said...

Funny, we've spent the last couple days doing the same thing and getting ready for a bulk trash pickup on Tuesday, amazing how good it feels to lighten the load, so to speak (and seeing the floor in the basement is a nice change too).

Post a Comment

CURRENT MOON